RULES & REGULATIONS
The Rules of Golf as approved by the United States Golf Association and The R&A govern play. These Local Rules and Terms of the Competition are in effect at all Southern States Junior Classics events. Any modifications or additions to these Local Rules and Terms of the Competition can be found on the Notice to Competitors given to each player prior to the start of each event. Complete text of the Rules and Local Rules may be found in the Official Guide to the Rules of Golf, effective January 2019.
Players will compete in one of the following divisions by the age they are throughout the duration of that event. For example, if a player were to turn 14 on the final round of the tournament, he/she would need to play in the 14-15 age division.
- Boys/Girls 16-18
- Boys/Girls 14-15
- Boys/Girls 12-13
- Boys/Girls 10-11
- Boys/Girls 9 & U
With the exception of caddies, all spectators need to stay out of the fairways and off of greens and tees during play. It is ok to gather near tee and greens to watch, but we ask that they stay on the cart paths or rough while walking the course.
Spectators may not interact with participants at any time on the golf course, except in the case of an emergency. Any conversation between a spectator and participant will be subject to penalty under Rule 10.2 (Advice).
Only exceptions allowing spectators to interact with players during a round include handing them sunscreen, food, beverage, or any health emergency. This should always be done in front of another spectator or tournament official.
Spectators are not allowed to give a player a ride under any circumstances during the player’s round. This includes driving players back for lost balls or from green to tee. The SSJC staff will select shuttle holes prior to the start of the tournament. The only time a spectator can shuttle is at an authorized shuttle hole. Any time a player takes a ride from a spectator that is unauthorized, he/she will incur a 2 stroke penalty. In the event of a course evacuation for inclement weather, spectators can shuttle players to safety.
Spectators will be subject to removal from the golf course for the following breaches of etiquette:
- Repeat offenses of interacting with players after being warned by Tournament Committee
- Rude, vulgar or other inappropriate comments or gestures.
- Verbal or physical harassment of players, volunteers, officials or fellow spectators.
- Distracting a player or causing any disruption of play.
- Behavior that is unruly, disruptive, unsafe or illegal in nature.
- Failing to follow the instructions of a SSJC Tournament Committee official, volunteer or host personnel.
CODE OF CONDUCT
The SSJC prides itself in hosting events that are safe, fun, competitive and family oriented. Players will have the opportunity to not only grow their game but as a player as well. Each event requires help from the host facility, community involvement, and partners to make the tournament enjoyable for everyone.
With that being said, the SSJC will not tolerate any disrespectful behavior, whether on or off the golf course at an event. Players in violation of the code of conduct with the SSJC may lose playing privileges as well as being liable to penalty strokes or disqualification.
All SSJC participants are reminded to respect the host facility and their staff/golf course. Players are expected to repair ball marks on the greens and divots where needed. Players are also expected to rake all bunkers and care for the course throughout their tournament experience.
Violations of the Code of Conduct include:
- Unsportsmanlike conduct which includes: abusive language, cheating, club throwing, disrespect to volunteers/staff/officials or fellow competitors, and abuse of golf course property.
- Not adhering to the dress code of the host golf course
- Use or association of drugs or alcohol
- Conduct not becoming of a SSJC player, such as acting in anger or creating other distractions.
Code of Conduct Violation Penalties:
The SSJC Tournament Committee may assess any or all of the following penalties based on the severity of the violation(s):
- Issue a one stroke penalty for each act of unsportsmanlike conduct on the golf course
- Immediate disqualification from the tournament at which the violation occurs
- Depending on the severity of the violation, a tournament disqualification may also result in disqualification from the next tournament or tournaments for which a player has been accepted.
The SSJC reserves the right to suspend or revoke a player’s registration for a major breach of the SSJC Code of Conduct.